Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:56:21 -0500
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        gaby@ieee.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Info about redistribution

On Nov 17, 2004, at 1:13 PM, Gabriel Belingueres wrote:
> (I'm sure you receive this kind of question every day)

Not really, no.  Maybe once a month.  :-)

> I'd like to know if a redistribution model like RedHat's on Linux can
> be made with FreeBSD. I want to know is if it's trully possible
> legally.

Yes, and yes.  The BSD license is very permissive, and has fewer
restrictions than (for example) the GPL imposes on Linux
redistributions.

> In that case, I'd like to know what kind of licencing and fees
> may be applied to such an enterprise.

Anything that you and your prospective clients are willing to agree to.

However, since other people can and do sell FreeBSD on CD for a
two-digit amount, and ISO images are available for the price of
bandwidth and a CD-R blank, you are unlikely to be able to resell
FreeBSD itself for much more unless you offer good service and support,
or some other added value.

--
-Chuck