Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 2001 13:04:53 +1000 (EST)
From:      Doug Young <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp congestion issue

Are there any unreported issues with user-ppp in 4.2 RELEASE ??

Since building a 4.2 system I'm getting weirdness where the
permanent dialup link appears to lock maybe once per day, although it
doesn't disconnect. Sometimes only http / ftp is affected, but even then
its slowed considerably ... mostly all services die totally & the machine
refuses to respond to keyboard commands.

I've been  scouring the logs on machines at both ends of the link for
something like "no buffer space" but no sign of anything like that. I've
also replaced the dialup modem at my end, and plan to disable the onboard
serial ports / install a replacement serial card in case the UARTs are
broken. Other than that I can't think of anything else to try right now.

I've been running portsentry -tcp to watch for DOS attacks, but doesn't
look like anyone antisocial is poking around either.

Any suggestions / comments ??