Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 1998 14:47:31 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Brent J. Nordquist" <bjn@visi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ady@freebsd.ady.ro (Adrian Penisoara)
Subject:   Re: Annoying delay with pine 4 and IMAP

| (2)  I'm using the imap-uw port (4.2) and pine (4.02 and 4.02a).  When I
| start pine, I get the "busy spinner" [Opening "INBOX" <-> ] which sits
| there for about 10 seconds before it prompts me for login/password.
| I also get this delay whenever I open a new folder.

Nothing like answering your own question.  :-)  Well, at least now it's
in the archives.

I happened to catch a message that zipped by about "rsh failed".
Reading the configuration docs again, I find:

# Sets the time in seconds that Pine will attempt to open a UNIX remote
# shell connection.  The default is 15, min is 5, and max is unlimited.
# Zero disables rsh altogether.
rsh-open-timeout=

Sure enough, setting this to "0" fixes it.  It must have been trying
to rsh to the server before giving up and trying a connection to the
imap4 port.

--
Brent J. Nordquist / bjn@visi.com   |   Windows not found
W: +1 612 905-7806                  |   (C)heer, (D)ance, (S)ing?