Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 11:54:27 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Tyler K McGeorge <treznor@sunflower.com>
Cc:        "Mr. Makarand Kulkarni" <naveenpchandra@hotmail.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:

Please don't write one line per paragraph.

On Wednesday, 20 December 2000 at  3:34:39 -0600, Tyler K McGeorge wrote:
> On  Tuesday, December 19, 2000 2:24 AM, Mr. Makarand Kulkarni wrote:
>> Sir i want to know what is the meaning of FreeBSD, please let me
>> know its fullform
>
> University of California at Berkeley at one point in time bought the
> rights to work on UNIX from Bell Systems back in 1978.

More like 1974/1975.

> They shortly thereafter forged their own variant of UNIX which they
> called BSD (Berkeley Software Distribution).

The original BSD was released in 1977 and contained no kernel code.

> Soon after came 2BSD (which shipped 75 copie, as opposed to the 30
> shipped of BSD.) 2.8.1BSD gave way to many enhancements, and is more
> important than 3BSD in that aspect.

2BSD, which is being developed today, only runs on PDP-11s.  3BSD ran
on VAX, and was the first UNIX with virtual memory.  I can't think of
anything in 2BSD which would rival that in importance.

> 4BSD was released in 1980, 4.1BSD in 1981 (which has revisions made
> between 82 and 83), 4.2 in 83,

4.3BSD in June 1986.

> and finally 4.4BSD in 93. (I think some of those dates are
> inaccurate, but I only have one source on this at the moment.))

The year is right.  For more details, look at
/usr/share/misc/bsd-family-tree.

> After 4.4BSD, UCB was forced to become BSDI, which is now a major
> non-free Unix.

This is not correct.  BSDI was formed in 1981 by some ex-CSRG people.
CSRG closed down in 1994, I think.  BSDI make BSD/OS.

> Using 4.4BSD, there have been multiple offspring. OpenBSD, NetBSD,
> FreeBSD and BSD Lite.

NetBSD and FreeBSD originally started on a 4.3BSD Net/2 base.

> Open referring to Open source, Net referring to Networking based and
> Free being without cost.

The names are relatively irrelevant.  The term "OpenBSD" was coined
before the term "Open source", so your derivation is impossible.  All
three are free open source operating systems with networking.

> BSD Lite is a small version of BSD (never really had much experience
> with anything but FBSD.)

4.4BSD contains AT&T code.  You need a UNIX source license (now
available for free from SCO) to get it.  4.4BSD-Lite was an incomplete
operating system created by removing the AT&T code from 4.4BSD.  It
was the base for FreeBSD 2.0 and NetBSD 1.0.

> And if the rumors I've heard have any validity, I hear FBSD 5.0 is
> planning on united OBSD, NBSD and FBSD. Yay!

The rumours you have heard have no validity whatsoever.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.