Date:      Sun, 21 Oct 2001 11:33:04 -0700
From:      seth <qwestions2001@yahoo.com>
Cc:        newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X server

I recently had a problem with with getting GNOME to work.  This was my
3rd install of FreeBSD on my P3 450Mhz with a Savage4 Pro+ video card.

I had gotten X to work in my previous installs, but never documented the
specifics.  Also I had ALWAYS had to install X from scratch - the method
of /stand/sysinstall never worked for me.

So finally I re-installed Freebsd with the User+X option.  All the right
files got installed.  I got GNOME working.. but kept getting error "This
is not a GNOME compatible windows manager"  - or something like that.
After doing some research.. I found that SOME window-managers do not
work with GNOME.  This MAY be your problem with KDE.  TWM was my default
window manager....

So I went to /usr/ports/x11-wm/sawfish.  sawfish was the window-manager
which I was interested in.

I changed to the path shown above.. and typed - "make" without the
quotes of course.  I restarted X-windows and the correct window-manager
was selected- "sawfish"

You MIGHT want to look into this b4 "make"ing another window manager.  I
don't know the specifics for KDE.  I found my info on dejanews.com

ALSO.  I had to comment my security settings in rc.conf.  I never
reliased this about FreeBSD - that during initial install if you select
a high security setting - X or startx will not work.  In my case  startx
didn't work as root or as other users.

Try to check what I had done for your system.  The good thing is, your X
works!!

-Q