Date:      Thu, 28 Oct 2004 05:42:45 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        "Hauan, David" <david.hauan@fairchild.af.mil>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: font size on console.

On 2004-10-27 17:28, Hauan, David wrote:
>Eric Kjeldergaard wrote:
>>>
>>> You can always try to kldload vesa.ko at boot time and then experiment
>>> with VESA 800x600 modes:
>>>
>>>         # vidcontrol -g 100x37 VESA_800x600
>>>
>>> Someone was working on improved VESA support for the FreeBSD
>>> console.  The last time I checked the patch that floated around
>>> the -current mailing list, it supported 800x600 modes, 1024x768,
>>> even 1280x1024 on some adapters.
>>
>> I didn't know that one could pass 1024x768.  Thought there was some
>> or another issue with it, but maybe that's just for displaying
>> splash images.
>
> So where is the best place to load this at boot so when all users log
> in they get the vidcontrol settings I set.

If you're looking at a way to load vesa.ko at boot time, then the file
/boot/loader.conf is what you want to tweak:

	vesa_load="YES"

will tell the boot loader that vesa.ko should be loaded at every boot.

You can also compile VESA support in your kernel if you prefer that.
See the Handbook's kernel configuration section and the VESA kernel
option in LINT (for 4.X) or NOTES (for 5.X).

- Giorgos