Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 16:13:27 +0200
From:      Hanno Liem <freebsd@dark4ce.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help - Apache unexpected behaviour, redirects/rewrites

Hi all,

I'm puzzled.

I have an (old) apache server of which I just took over administration.
Hosts several virtual webservers, on seperate IP#s.

Mod_rewrite is installed.

There was an issue with directories and URL's when people don't enter / at
the end: a well-known one which requires a rewrite, adding / at the end.

Now the webserver behaves like this:

Say that the URL should be this:

http://my.webserver.com/mydir/

(there is an index.php3 in directory mydir)

But people put this in:

http://my.webserver.com/mydir

Then, for some reason, apache sends a 301 (Permanently moved) to

http://hostname/mydir

... which of course doesn't work!

I turned off the Rewrite Engine for that virtual host, and it doesn't make
any difference. I grepped the whole /usr/local/apache/conf dir for
"redirect" and "rewrite". Nothing...

It might have something to do with a reverse lookup somehow. This DNS server
is misconfigured as well, I suspect. But I am a bit in the dark here.

Any hints or help are appreciated and count towards your stash of Karma :-)

Han