Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:41:29 +0100
From:      Frode Nordahl <frode@nordahl.net>
To:        Tony Byrne <freebsd@byrnehq.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MegaRAID 'Bad Slot' Kernel message and crash.

On Dec 29, 2004, at 12:18, Tony Byrne wrote:
> The amr driver man page says that this message is indicative of a
> firmware or
> hardware problem with the controller, but we are not convinced.  We
> experienced the same message and lockups daily during stress testing
> of the
> box under FreeBSD 5.3 and this ultimately forced us to 'downgrade'
> to 4.10 for production.  The box had been rock solid under 4.10 for a
> number of weeks before yesterday's crash.

May I ask what kind of tests you ran? What motherboard do you have?

I have a SRCU42X in a server with Intel motherboard (SE7501HG2), and
have not made it crash yet. However, the box is not in production yet,
so...

I ran more generic tests and did not apply severe pressure on the disk
subsystem: 	endless loop of buildworld -j8
	bonnie++ running with one instance per array

I think it ran for a week or so without any issues.

But I would really like to try whatever you did to your servers to find
out if I'll have the same issues here :-)

--
Frode