Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 1999 12:22:03 +0200 (CET-DST)
From:      SYSTEM@beatix.desy.de
To:        FREEBSD-QUESTIONS@FREEBSD.ORG
Cc:        SYSTEM@beatix.desy.de
Subject:   ppp (alias)

Hi, ppp seems to be a neverending story.

I've tried to connect two BSD PC`s with modem, using ppp.
One is in my office (ppp-server). It`s connected to the internet via a switch and
a router.
I like to use my PC in the office as a gateway to the whole world for the host at
home (ppp-client).

On the client side everything seems to be ok.
I'm able to connect all the world using a ppp-server in the Universty.

Setup my own ppp-server in my office was not succesfull.

I've done the following things on the server side in my office.
-----------------------------
/etc/rc.conf:
.
.
.
.
tcp_extensions="YES"network_interfaces="fxp0 tun0 lo0
ifconfig_fxp0="inet 131.aaa.bb.222  netmask 255.255.255.0"
ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"
ifconfig_tun0="inet 131.aaa.bb.333   131.aaa.bb.444   netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="131.aaa.bb.666"
static_routes=""        # Set to static route list (or leave empty).
gateway_enable="YES"        # Set to YES if this host will be a gateway.
router_enable="NO"      # Set to YES to enable a routing daemon.
router="routed"         # Name of routing daemon to use if enabled.
router_flags="-s"       # Flags for roall uting daemon.
arpproxy_all=""         # obsolete kernel option ARP_PROXY_ALL equiv.
.
.
.
.
.
------------------------------
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf

.
.
.
.

default:
 set log Phase Chat Connect Carrier LCP IPCP CCP tun command LQM ID0
 set device /dev/cuaa1
 set speed 19200
 disable lqr
 deny lqr
 set timeout 0
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK
 \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
 allow users ppp psystem system root
 set server 3000
 set ifaddr 131.aaa.bb.333 131.aaa.bb.444 255.255.255.0
alias:
 alias enable yes
 alias same_ports yes
 alias deny_incoming no
 alias use_sockets yes
 alias log yes
.
.
.
.
.
---------------------------------
/etc/ppp/options

crtscts                         # Hardware flow control
netmask 255.255.255.0           # netmask ( not required )
131.aaa.bb.333:131.aa.bbb.444   # ip's of local and remote hosts
                                # local ip must be different from one
                                # you assigned to the ethernet ( or other )
                                # interface on your machine.
                                # remote IP is ip address that will be
                                # assigned to the remote machine
domain xyz.de              # your domain
passive                         # wait for LCP
modem                           # modem line

----------------------------------

/etc/ppp/ppp.linkup
.
.
.
.
.
131.aa.bbb.444:
# add 131.aaa.bb 0 HISADDR
#
131.aaa.bb333:
# add 131.aaa.bb.0 0 HISADDR
#
MYADDR:
# delete 0
# add 0 0 HISADDR
--------------------------------

 i created a new user called ppp with this login shell

--------------------------------
#!/bin/sh -p
echo "Hello you're trying to exec ppp"

exec /usr/sbin/ppp -direct

-------------------------------

If i login as user ppp via modem from home,
i'm able to ping telnet ftp 131.aaa.bb.333 but no other host e.g.
131.aaa.bb.777
If I ping 131.aaa.bb.777
trfashow saied it answers with arp_who_has 131.aaa.bb.333

Ok this seems to be clear.
I have to  use the alias option from ppp

------------------------------

#!/bin/sh -p
echo "Hello you're trying to exec  ppp -alias "

exec /usr/sbin/ppp -direct -alias alias

----------------------------------
I think the label alias is not necessary and i tried it with and without
Using this i'am logged out imediatly.

If I login with out alias, open a new xterm on the the ppp-server
and use pppctl there to enable alias, this
xterm is closed automaticly (error?), the ppp connection is still up
and working. But only to 131.aaa.bb.333.

I need good ideas, what about aliasing in rc.conf with ifconfig fxp0?

          \\  CHIRP!

                               (_/

system@beatix.desy.de