Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:35:19 -0800
From:      "Nerius Landys" <nlandys@gmail.com>
To:        niyichrist@yahoo.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation

> I've being using FreeBSD ever since 6.0 and I am a very good fan. But I got
> a new laptop computer, a Sony VAIO VGN-BX760 that has a hidden recovery
> partition. I've tried all my best to install FreeBSD 7.0 on it but when ever
> I insert the installation CD and it boots from the cdrom, the kernel does
> not come up. Instead, I got this bunch of digits just scrolling down my
> screen indefinitely. The laptop came with a windows XP OS and I am trying to
> dual boot. I want to use the recovery partition for my FreeBSD.

I am acquainted with the scrolling digits problem.  I installed FreeBSD 7.0
onto a server machine which did not have a built-in CDROM drive.  Instead, I
hooked up a USB CDROM drive and tried to boot from it.  This is when I got
the scrolling digits problem.  After asking about this problem on the
forums, if I remember correctly, the answer seemed to be that booting from
USB CDROM drive is not supported.  My fix was to temporarily hook up an IDE
CDROM drive and boot from that.  I'm not sure what the situation with your
laptop is.

By the way, if you are installing a dual boot, wouldn't it make sense to
shrink the Windows partition first to make more room on the hard drive, then
add a new partition?  There are tools that can shrink a Windows partition
easily.