Date:      Thu, 16 Feb 2017 17:55:51 +0100
From:      Sydney Meyer <meyer.sydney@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slow Download Speeds from AWS S3

Hi Steve,

increasing the buffer size did indeed enhance throughput.

I am obviously not an expert in this field, but i don't understand why =
or if the TCP Receive Window Size shouldn't increase automatically.

I found this thread on the ML and i'm reading myself a bit more into the =
topic right now.

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2014-August/039495.html

Thank you for your tip, however..

Sydney

> On 16 Feb 2017, at 16:35, Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk> =
wrote:
>=20
> Window scaling and receive buffer scaling is the most likely cause.
>=20
> Check what the sysctl net.inet.tcp.recvspace is set to, then try =
increasing it e.g.
> sysctl net.inet.tcp.recvspace=3D655360
>=20
> This jumped the transfer rate with a wget and your test URL from 3MB/s =
to 30MB/s here.
>=20
>    Regards
>    Steve
>=20
> On 16/02/2017 14:34, Sydney Meyer via freebsd-net wrote:
>> Hello,
>>=20
>> I'm seeing continuous slow download speeds from Amazon S3, but only =
on FreeBSD. Other OSes saturate the connection without problems.
>>=20
>> This happens with 10.3-RELEASE and 11.0-RELEASE and only with AWS S3 =
in different regions (Ireland, London, Frankfurt, US Standard have been =
tested) whilst using fetch, curl, et. al.
>>=20
>> I have tested this on multiple machines, bare metal, bhyve, Xen and =
VMware VMs, routed setups and direct pppoe links.. all the same.
>>=20
>> Anyone seeing similar issues?
>>=20
>> Here's a url to try:
>>=20
>> =
http://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/4f48caf1d8bcbef8/c5b38f8b3625d2b6/zer=
ofile.raw
>>=20
>> Also, when doing double NAT, i.e. VMware Fusion FreeBSD Guest with =
"Share with my Mac"-Interface, the machine is doing completely fine, as =
in saturates the link, 90Mbps otherwise between 12-15Mbps..
>>=20
>> I also switched the FreeBSD Routers with Linux-based ones and with =
the isp-provided router box, with the same result.
>>=20
>> I have launched VMs with Digital Ocean to "rule out" my ISP and there =
seems to be the same issue. Downloading from S3 is multiple times slower =
than any other connection to services outside of S3 or on any other OS.