Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 1996 12:19:23 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        phk@critter.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, rkw@dataplex.net, jkh@time.cdrom.com, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Food for thought

> Listen, it's really VERY VERY SIMPLE!  We don't promise anything about
> -current, nothing, absolutely NOTHING!
>
> If you have trouble with -current, you'd better find out for your self
> what they are, and send an email with a patch, or at least >very< precise
> description to the committer you think is responsible.
>
> Otherwise:  Get of our back!

The problem is not one of meeting promises which you have outstanding;
I will be the first to agree that there are no promises out there which
you should feel compelled to meet, in regard to -current.

On the other hand, I think that there is general agreement the overall
group effort can be made to move more effectively toward the combined
project goals if -current compiles.

I'm not suggesting that it would then have to *run*.  *That* would
be trying to make -current into "production level code", which I
agree, would be a mistake.

On the other hand, every 3-4 months, -current goes through a period
of instability, we all have this very argument, people get their
sensibilities offended, and then they set about proving we don't
need any "grandios schemes" by increasing their own dilligence.  And
things improve for 3-4 months until. once again, the dilligence slips.

The problem is that there is a human dilligence requirement that needs
to be removed from human control and ensconced in the process itself
so that a human failure will not cause a failure of credibility.

I have made my own suggestions on this several 3-4 month periods in
the past, on several occasions, already.  I'd be perfectly happy to
see *any* soloution: it does not have to be mine, and I'll stop
advocating mine if it will help pave the road to *some* soloution.

Frankly, I find it apalling to have the *possibility* of a source
repository *ever* in an unbuildable state following a group of
related checkins.  It simply irks me no end, since it violates
a lot of my precepts of professionalism.

Yes, my suggested fix would put a build latency into the process
of checkin.  I am perfectly happy to hear other proposals for
fixes that wouldn't.

Meanwhile, if nothing else, we have bought 3-4 more months in
which to address the problem or prepare for another session to
get ourselves another 3-4 months after that...

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---