Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 13:02:55 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libdisk Makefile chunk.c write_alpha_disk.c  write_i386_disk.c write_pc98_disk.c

Robert Watson wrote:
> Gordon Tetlow and I have been discussing possibly reusing the superblock
> "last mounted on" field for volume label and uuid storage.  Right now the
> "last mounted on" data is basically used for printfs, and often somewhat
> confusingly (the kernel will print the last mount point when reporting a
> mount error, which might not be where the user is trying to mount).  It's
> 512 bytes of superblock space, so would provide lots of room for volume
> identifier information, if we decided to go that way.  Anyone interested
> in this sort of thing should spend a fair amount of time looking at prior
> art, including at Apple's approach to volume name automounting.

Please do not do this.

It is very easy to use this field to make arriving FS's not in fstab
mount themselves to the right place automatically:

1)	Device arrival
2)	Paritition arrival
3)	Disklabel arrival
4)	FS arrival
5)	Automount

Without this field, you have to have an fstab entry for everything you
want to mount, even if you don't know about it, and it's on removable
media.

-- Terry