Date:      Thu, 17 Jul 1997 02:10:46 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        cbrown@aracnet.com
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: EISA cards.

Hi,

>And which SMP machines do not have a APIC?  Maybe I should have made
>myself more clear.  Why not abandon the 8254 completely when in
>Full symmetric mode.  You have to do a bunch of stuff when
>you switch modes, so why not add this to it.

The answer is that we haven't studied the issue well enough to make a decision
as to what we should do for timer services.  Having a central timer that is
not tied to any particular CPU has advantages also.  Among these is the
possibility for any available CPU to handle its INTerrupt.

Given our limited resources, alot of design decisions go along the lines
of "what needs doing next, and what can we put off for awhile" as oppossed
to a commercial operation where the decision is instead "who can we assign
this task to?".  The bottom line here is that we can probably get along with
the 8254 timer and existing code for quite awhile, while we can forsee no
need to the EISA DMA chaining.  And going to the APIC timers will be a fair
amount of time & code to achieve.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by