Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2019 14:40:24 -0700
From:      Chuck Tuffli <chuck@tuffli.net>
To:        John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: online resizing NVME drives?

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 1:11 PM John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net> wrote:

> Hi all-
>
> Obviously this wouldn't make sense for physical NVME hardware, but when r=
unning on e.g. bhyve or AWS EC2 it's nice to be able to resize volumes and =
filesystems without needing to reboot the (virtual) system. I'm pretty sure=
 that's do-able with SCSI, AHCI SATA and virtio-block devices but I don't s=
ee a way to do it with NVME. Am I missing something or do we need to implem=
ent something along the lines of "nvmecontrol rescan"?

> I'm experimenting with FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE on a c5n.large AWS ec2 instan=
ce. Like most (all?) of the c5 instance types the disks are all presented a=
s NVME devices even if they are actually backed by EBS. I started one insta=
nce with a 10GB root volume but then decided I wanted to make it bigger. I =
grew the volume on the AWS side no problem. When I did so I got this kernel=
 message:
> nvme0: async event occurred (type 0x2, info 0x00, page 0x00)

FWIW, this is a "Namespace Attribute Changed" event from the NVMe
Controller. Are you using nvd as the disk driver? If so, can you try
nda as that appears to support the XPT_SCAN_* events.

--chuck