Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 23:56:33 +0200
From:      Fredrik Carlen <fredrik.carlen@telia.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Config of ether interface fails

...and I *have* RTFM!

This is the deal:
I got two NE2000 compatible (ETHER-16C) ethernet interfaces the other day from a
pal of mine, along with an old, beat up skeleton of a 486DX. I was delirious! A
*home* LAN! All by myself, to administer the hell out of!
Well, today I finally gave up trying to convince my Intel P-166 machine running
FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE that there actually *was* a NIC at "port 0x320 IRQ 9".
What I did was boot BSD  -- an' here come the fool-proof explanation -- and
when the little piece of text comes up saying "press any other key for
blahblahblah", I did just that and *got* "blahblahblah". So then I hacked in,
by means of my keyboard, pitiful as it is, "boot -c", and this actually got
UserConfig running (ch 12 of "The Complete FreeBSD", pages 194++). So far so
good. Then I start visual mode of UserConfig. Here I take away the superfluous
stuff, and leave the goodies. Sometimes I leave more than the goodies, to be
sure every driver I could possibly need gets loaded later on...well, I change
the defaults for "NE2000 et al." to I/O:0x320, IRQ:9 (or 10, depending on my
mood for the time being...I know these to be unoccupied), I save the
configuration with "q", then I save the *whole* configuration ("q" once again,
that is to say). Then the kernel tries to boot. And just after the line that
says: "sc0: VGA color <16 virtual consoles yaddayaddayadda>" the whole b****y
thing hangs. Just like that. Nothing happens except for the HD lamp glowing for
aeons and aeons. I left it like that an hour so I could get some sunlight, and
when I came back nothing had happened.

What in the             am I doing wrong here? The stuff works running Window$
95...with the same hardware settings. Unbelievable.
Other than that, FBSD and I are communicating quite happily now.

/Fredrik <fredrik.carlen@telia.com>