Date:      Thu, 11 May 2006 01:10:25 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Greg Barniskis" <nalists@scls.lib.wi.us>, "cpghost" <cpghost@cordula.ws>
Cc:        fbsd@a1poweruser.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: New FreeBSD Logo

I take affront to such answers because of the simple fact that it's
obvious that your perfectly valid answer isn't a real answer.  A real
answer would be something that would get rid of this continual
resurgence of this discussion.

Based on responses I'd estimate about 60% of FBSD users didn't want
the logo changed before the contest.

Based on responses post-contest results, I think about 90% of users hate
the new logo.  Now, the folks that didn't want the logo changed, well you
can assume most
of them aren't going to like the new logo.  But it's pretty clear that
quite a large number of the "lets change the logo" proponents don't
like what they got.

Thus, the alleged "problem" of Beastie being used as the logo, wasn't
solved.  No amount of referring people to other lists is going to
satify anyone - because it's still a problem.

When FreeBSD changed to CAM and broke support for the Adaptec 1520
SCSI card, tons of people complained on this forum, and many other
in-appropriate forums.  This continued despite repeated statements from
the developers in charge of such things that the Adaptec 1520 chipset
is terrible, find another one, etc. etc.  Finally someone wrote the
driver and the complaints went away - because the real answer had
happened.

If core simply cannot tolerate Beastie as the logo, so they simply
have to have something else, then the only real answer is to ditch the
sex toy and draw another "new" logo to replace it.  Hell, commercial
companies do this all the time.

That would be the logical response.  But, core won't do it because
egos are involved here, and to do this would be an open admission
that they fucked up.

Seems to be that the core developers have no problem admitting when
they have fucked up some technical decision about how FreeBSD is
structured internally.  But, when it comes to something like a poor
result of a silly contest, they are unable to grok that.  Very very
strange.

Ted