Date:      Wed, 05 Aug 1998 11:18:54 +0100
From:      Stuart Henderson <stuart@internationalschool.co.uk>
To:        Steve Roskowski <rosko@mpath.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   "config kernel root on .." broken?? (was Re: install friendly?)

Steve Roskowski wrote:

> step 5) pops up to the boot loader, I say BSD
> step 6) BSD starts initial stuff, I get a boot prompt and let it timeout
> step 7) BSD panic stops, can't find root, reboot

this seems to have changed somewhere fairly late in 2.2.6-stable - you
used (certainly ok in kernel cvsupped 6 July) to be able to have
'config kernel root on wd0' (in the kernel configuration file - as is
found in the generic kernel) and it would also work if the root was on
sd0. now when you try it, it panics unless you build a new kernel with
'config kernel root on sd0'.

("panic can't mount root" i think, although it doesn't get far enough
to write the error message to /var/log/messages).

if it wasn't for this, the only difficulty you would have had with the
installation would have been working out how to put the boot loader on
the IDE drive, which you got right anyway :-)

perhaps technically it shouldn't have worked before, but I don't think
I would have got FreeBSD installed on the PC i'm using now without
building a custom kernel (no wd0 harddrive).