Date:      Sat, 10 Oct 1998 22:36:17 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Tetsuya Watanabe <tetuya@concentric.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dialup configuration

> Hello,
>
> My pc runs FreeBSD 2.2.5.  I am unable to configure the ISP dialout
> configuration right.
> I followed the information available from
> www.freebsd.org/tutorials/ppp/ and from the online handbook,  but no
> success so far.
> When "dial isp(or whatever shows up at the parameter entry)" after the
> console gets ppp prompt,  the console shows the following:
>
> dial OK!
> login OK!
> ppp on ABC> Packet mode.

Sounds like you've got no dial or login scripts....

> However,  I cannot hear any sound off the modem.
> Also,  "ifconfig tun0" gives "tun0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST>
> mtu 1500".
> I changed the parameters in /etc/rc.conf according to the section 15.1.6
> of the handbook(<- is this only good for 2.2.7?)
>
> Question:
> 1) How to fix this problem and force ppp to connect to the modem(sio0).

With the ``term'' command (from the ppp prompt).  Read through the
man page - it suggests using this first before trying to do anything
fancy.  Also, make sure your com ports were probed (``dmesg | fgrep
sio'').

> 2) Any program from ports collection necessary?

Nope.  You could upgrade to the latest and greatest version of ppp
from http://www.Awfulhak.org/ppp.html though.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;