Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 1995 19:45:56 +1000
From:      Stephen Hocking <sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Functional differences between various 486 CPUs

I've just laid hands on a cheap 33Mhz 486 motherboard to replace my 25MHz
386sx/387sx setup (yeah, well educating a kid, marriage problems & a mortgage
tend to drain the supply of ready cash) and am hunting around for a CPU to put
in it. So far I've seen the following -

Clock	Manu.	Chip	Price (Oz dollars, don't panic!)
66MHz	IBM	486	$93
66MHz	Intel	486	$199
100Mhz	Intel	486	$264
100MHz	AMD	486	$156
100MHz	IBM	486	$145

Which ones are 5v and 3.5v, which 3.5v parts have the onboard regulator to
allow using them in old motherboards like mine, and what differences are there
in regard to cache & onboard maths copro presence?

I'm lusting after one of the 100Mhz parts, but accept giving budget that I'll
probably end up getting the 66MHz IBM unit iff it'll go in my 486 m'board and
it has a math-copro. For the heat sensitive units, my case has a 15cm fan
blowing over the motherboard. It's noisy enough and shifts a fair bit of air.

	Stephen
--

        I do not speak for the Worker's Compensation Board of Queensland -
                     They don't pay me enough for that!