Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:16:36 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding `pgrep' and `pkill' to /usr/bin

In the last episode (Mar 24), David Schultz said:
> I think it would be *great* to import any and all of the Solaris proc
> tools into FreeBSD.  I tend to think of these utilities as ps(1),
> fstat(1), and friends done the proper Unix way (with lots of simple
> tools that can be combined for powerful effect.) For those who
> haven't seen the rest of the tools, take a look at:
>
> 	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=proc&manpath=SunOS+5.9

Some of these already exist or would be trivial to add:

pstack is in ports, and can decode libc_r threads.
pwdx could be a wrapper around fstat?
pstop and prun are just wrappers around kill -{STOP|CONT} $@
pwait would make wait_for_pids() in rc.subr simpler
pstree is in ports and looks similar to ptree

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com