Date:      Sun, 03 Aug 2003 11:17:49 +0200
From:      Eivind Olsen <eivind@aminor.no>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Yet another crash in FreeBSD 5.1

--On 3. august 2003 09:37 +0930 Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
wrote:
> Read the links I just sent you.  You haven't loaded the Vinum symbols.

I'm not sure exactly what to do here. I have absolutely no previous
experience with kernel debugging, using gdb etc. so I'm lost without
specific instructions on what to do, what to try etc.

The vinum.ko file is not stripped:

eivind@vimes:~/tmp/debug > file /boot/kernel/vinum.ko
/boot/kernel/vinum.ko: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1
(FreeBSD), not stripped
eivind@vimes:~/tmp/debug >

The web page mentions that I should either use the crash dump (which isn't
created...) or use remote serial gdb to analyze the problem. I guess I'll
have to find a nullmodem cable, install FreeBSD on another computer here (I
couldn't find a Windows version of gdb) and try to figure out exactly how
to  do remote GDB debugging (I've looked around in the developers handbook,
specifically
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerne
ldebug-online-gdb.html>)

--