Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 09:18:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        grant.cooper@nucleus.com (Grant Cooper)
Cc:        shadow@CPE0004761ac738-CM00109515bc65.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com (Miroslav Pendev), adriankok2000@yahoo.com.hk (adrian kok), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd-questions)
Subject:   Re: backup tapes

> Is it possible to back up on a second harddrive? The reason being is that I
> am still experimenting with the installation and only want to reinstall with
> configurations I did in the past to save me time.

Sure if you have enough room on the drive.
Just make sure there is a file system big enough and use dump(8).

use 'df -k' to get an idea of how much space you will need.

Lets say you have a very large disk and made a file system
on it and mounted it as /scratch.
  (use fdisk to make one big slice,
   use disklabel to create one big partition in that slice
   use newfs to create a file system in the partition
   mount that partition as /scratch)
Now, say you have  / and a /usr/local and a /home to back up.
Run the following dump commands (ideally done in single user, but I
don't know anyone who can afford to have their system down long enough
to run backups).
  dump 0af /scratch/rootdump /
  dump 0af /scratch/localdump /usr/local
  dump 0af /scratch/homedump /home

Makes three backup files on the scratch disk.

If you want to restore all of one of the file systems - lets say '/'

Create the disk structure (fdisk, disklabel, newfs)
Obviously you would then be running temporarily with something else for root
Mount the intended restored root space on an alternate mount point
  mount /dev/wd0s2a /altroot     for example
Cd in to that file system
  cd /altroot
use restore(8) to restore the backed up files.
  restore -xf /scratch/rootdump

When it asks to set owner for . and .., say no  and voila its all back.
You can reset what partition it boots from (maybe swap disks or whatever)
and reboot

You can also restore individual files by using interactive restore.
Cd to the file system
  cd /altroot   or which ever file system will have the file
  restore -if /scratch/rootdump
Move around in the backup directory structure using 'cd' and look for files
using 'ls' sort of like in a real file system
Choose which files you want to restore and "add" them
  add my_lost_file_a
  add_my_lost_file_b
Ignore any message saying directory files already exist
When you are finished 'add'ing files then tell it to read them with
the 'extract; command
  extract
When it asks which tape to start with enter '1'  because dump/restore
are tape oriented, but you are really using a file.  If you are really
using tapes, start with the last tape in the dump set if there are
more than one tape.
  When it asks about setting owner for . and .., say no
And now you have your files back.

By the way, when you ask about DSS tapes, do you mean DAT (DDS) tapes?
If so, generally you don't have to do any formatting.  Just write to
them.  If you want to bulk erase first, do it, but BSD doesn't require
any formatting to write files to tape with dump, cp, tar or dd.  Tapes
are sequential access, not random, though you can do file seeks - one
dump is considered a single whole file.
There were some old weird systems that required tapes to be formatted
but I haven't seen one in a long while.

////jerry