Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:31:09 +0800
From:      Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DoS from local users (fwd)

Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> What about a new login-class capability specifying the maximum
> percentage of CPU time a class of users can utilize? With standard
> class having 90% (or 95%)? The machine would appear (to most of
> the users) as if it had 10% slower CPU, with the remaining usable
> by the root-class. This way, if the CPU consumption by system is
> 30%, the most CPU time the standard users can get is 60%.
>
> Trusted users can be placed into a different class, of course.
>
> Plausible?

What you guys are describing is the FAIR SHARE scheduler for Unix, as
implemented by Softway in Sydney many years ago. It originated in Sydney
University as part of the efforsts of the CS department there to share out an
old Vax 11/780 amongst 80 odd users at a time. Students aren't noted for their
common sense, so measures like this were necessary.

	Stephen
--
  The views expressed above are not those of PGS Tensor.

    "We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce
     the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know
     this is not true."            Robert Wilensky, University of California