Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2000 21:46:45 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        "chip@wiegand.org" <chip@wiegand.org>, "scanner@jurai.net" <scanner@jurai.net>
Cc:        "mtaylor@netmax.com" <mtaylor@netmax.com>, "mtaylor@cybernet.com" <mtaylor@cybernet.com>, "FreeBSD Chat" <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Re: Cybermax no longer developing for FreeBSD

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 22:35:43 PDT, chip wrote:

>I wonder though if not buying is helping the situation any. If
>everyone who might buy their software decided to not buy it they
>would definately dump FreeBSD

When I first used Netmax FreeBSD I was impressed with the
support and attitude of the technical support department. They,
however, are not the ones to decide what happens of the product.

In the early days of Netmax where there was only a FreeBSD
version, they were working on getting a Linux version out and it
seemed most of their resources were working on the Linux
version.

After the Linux version was out those  resources dedicated to
Linux did not seem to work much on FreeBSD. AT least that was
the way it seemed from where I was standing.

>more software for FBSD? I suppose if they come out and say we
>absolutely will not support FreeBSD at all, then I would agree that not buying it would
>be the appropriate response to them.

I disagree. If they still have a FreeBSD version and it is not
been maintained and promoted at the same level as Linux then it
would be foolish of you to put a dime on cybernet's bank
accounts. If you care about the functionality that these
products offer then you may as well buy the Linux version.

It is also my opinion that going with Linux was a marketting
decision and not a technical one. Netmax is marketted as a
solution for those who need specific functionality and either
want to setup/maintain that functionality quickly/cheaply or for
those companies that don't have the knowledge to do it
themselves. Either way to both of those clients it will make no
difference whether the back end is Linux or FreeBSD.

Cybernet simply must have done a business decision based on
which product can give them more exposure and increase revenues.
This at the moment and for the foreseable future happens to be
Linux.