Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 22:00:49 -0800
From:      R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What are the differences?

Brett Taylor wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, R Joseph Wright wrote:
>
> > Kernel panics may be caused by bad hardware, but most of the error
> > codes had to do with dependency problems; the ports are suppposed to
> > handle this, aren't they?
>
> Yes and for the majority of people they work fine.  I do recall you were
> having problems w/ the metaports and I never heard (or don't remember
> reading) whether they were ever resolved.

I never did get the metaport to work.  First, I need to sort out the
various culprits at work:  there's the hardware issue of my cpu
overheating during some of the builds.  Step #1 is to get it to cool
correctly.  Then I can work on what is causing the error codes.

> > I still insist that FreeBSD needs a better packaging system for
> > installing and upgrading with binaries.
>
> Insisting is great - helping is better.  That said there is a new
> sysinstall/pkg system in the works.  I believe it's supposed to go out the
> door w/ 4.0, at least that's what sticks in my head.

I'd love to help but first I should probably learn to write a "hello
world" program :-)

> > I have had a lot of problems trying to build metaports for kde and
> > gnome that are definitely not hardware related.  I'd type in "make" in
> > the gnome metaport, for example, and there would be no response, only
> > a new command prompt.
>
> Did you have a previous work directory there (this is my guess for what
> the problem was - your description of the symptom sounds exactly like what
> you would get if this was true)? If you had a work directory and if there
> is a .build_done cookie in it then it won't build because it thinks the
> software has already been built. Make clean is your friend here.  For a
> metaport, make distclean may be even better.

I should have documented it better but I'm quite sure I did a make
clean.

> > This was using a freshly updated ports tree.  Also, you can't update
> > software with the ports, you can only install a new program, and it
> > won't uninstall the old one for you.  This is *my* experience with the
> > ports, if it works for you, wonderful.
>
> There are times you don't want to install the old one (tk and friends
> were/are one of these).  There are certainly times you do however.
> Knowing what to do and when to do it is tricky.  Example - say you upgrade
> xv and with it comes a new version of jpeg.  Should the packaging system
> then dump the old jpeg and screw up any other programs that also depend on
> the old jpeg libs or install all new packages for everything else (say
> gimp, Window Maker etc)?
>
> I'd much rather have manual control and KNOW what's going to be changed
> and how it affects the other software on my machine than hope the
> packaging software does the right thing or find that it tried to upgrade
> 20 different things because one library changed for the one thing I tried
> to upgrade. I've heard complaints about this same problem from users of
> RPMs and Debian's pkg utility.

Good point.
BTW, it's nice to feel a bit of familiarity among other users out there
8)

R Joseph Wright

*I merely took the energy it takes to pout
and wrote some blues --Duke Ellington*