Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:58:34 -0600
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Different OS's? Marketshare

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

>Laurence Sanford writes:
>

>>Well, I don't use KDE because I don't particularly like heavyweight
>>software unless I need it ...
>>

>Heavyweight in the sense of resources required, or complexity, or what?
>
>I got the impression that KDE was the one that everyone used.

Hmm, now a different thread, perhaps?  Different WM's marketshare?
It's pretty much "to each his own" out here, I'd say.  (see my earlier).

>Which window manager most closely approximates the GUI of traditional
>UNIX workstations?

Well, once again, I dunno.  I will mention that "AfterStep" is
"NextStep"'s successor, I think.

>Is it possible to install multiple X servers on the same machine so that
>one can fire up whichever one strikes one's fancy at a given time?

I don't see why not, although it'd probably be more common to simply
kill one wm session and start another to save resources.  Maybe it's
possible.  I don't know if, since you've just one DISPLAY (in theory,
anyhow)
you would configure it.

Hmm, just tested.  No can do, because just one DISPLAY.  Maybe some
X guru has a solution.  GNOME on ttyv1, fluxbox on ttyv2, term on ttyv3
etc., etc.... Would be pretty cool.

Now, if you have two video cards....

Kevin Kinsey