Date:      Thu, 28 Oct 2004 06:12:51 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Jason Dusek <jason-dusek@uiowa.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Zend Studio Installed & Not

On 2004-10-27 20:56, Jason Dusek <jason-dusek@uiowa.edu> wrote:
> I tried to install Zend Studio today, but after make all something funny
> happened: it popped up a window and started asking me questions. I told it
> to cancel - I'd run the install target later.
>
> When I try to run install, I get this:
>
>   # make install
>   ===>  Installing for ZendStudio-3.5.1
>   ===>   ZendStudio-3.5.1 depends on file: /compat/linux/etc/redhat-release
>   -
>   found
>   ===>   Generating temporary packing list
>   ===>  Checking if devel/zendstudio already installed
>   pkg_info: package bsdpan-IO-stringy-2.109 has no origin recorded
>   pkg_info: package bsdpan-OLE-Storage_Lite-0.13 has no origin recorded
>   pkg_info: package bsdpan-Spreadsheet-ParseExcel-0.2603 has no origin
>   recorded
>   ===>   ZendStudio-3.5.1 is already installed
>         You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
>         by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
>         If you really wish to overwrite the old port of devel/zendstudio
>         without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
>         in your environment or the "make install" command line.
>   *** Error code 1
>
> so then I run make deinstall:
>
>   # make deinstall
>   ===>  Deinstalling for devel/zendstudio
>   pkg_info: package bsdpan-IO-stringy-2.109 has no origin recorded
>   pkg_info: package bsdpan-OLE-Storage_Lite-0.13 has no origin recorded
>   pkg_info: package bsdpan-Spreadsheet-ParseExcel-0.2603 has no origin
>   recorded
>   ===>   ZendStudio not installed, skipping
>
> I forced the install, by setting "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER" like it says above,
> and now I have a copy of Zend Studio that doesn't work. The uninstall
> script that comes with Zend Studio is the only thing that works. What is
> the problem with my ports tree?

I recently stopped the installation of a port when package registration was
taking place for a dependency.  I used FORCE_PKG_REGISTER on some ports later,
then promptly pkg_delete'd all the ports that I used FORCE_PKG_REGISTER on,
deleted all the work subdirectories of my ports[1] tree (to make sure I didn't
have stale build trees around) and reinstalled the port I wanted.

[1] I usually prefer running something like the following instead of "make
clean" on the entire ports tree:

	# cd /usr/ports
	# find . -type d -maxdepth 3 -name work | xargs rm -fr