Date:      Sun, 13 May 2001 15:02:58 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Stefan Parvu <sparvu@cc.hut.fi>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, Kathy Quinlan <katinka@magestower.com>, Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, N6REJ <n6rej@tcsn.net>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I'm leaving

"default GUI install" is a subject to discuss. In my oppinion is not a
good idea because:

1. The core OS should be simple and simple to install. No GUI for that.
Make a comparations between Solaris, OpenBSD, Microsoft, Linux RedHat,
Suse. Time it and think again. As well look to the complexity of GUI
Install stuff.

2. The text mode is really cool. Is fast and it's simple. No extra effort.

3. No problems with video cards or VESA generic mode. Keep it simple. For
what do you need install GUI ??? Comfort ? Help for new users ???

At least these 3 points makes a good point to keep the sysinstall stuff.
If new users come and want to learn the stuff is simple: Grab a doc and
read it. Why we should have a "right click" formula as Microsoft or other
commercial UNIXes does ??? Sysinstall anyway is simple to use more than
any GUI ...

Take a look and analyze the SUSE installer, RedHAT, Solaris. Is far more
complex than sysinstall.

Just some ideas,
stefan

     Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>