Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:23:15 +1000 (EST)
From:      Jason Oakley <waulok@bangrocks.com>
To:        Sean Knox <Sknox@CQOS.COM>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: modifying partition sizes?

Long way round.. yer.
You will need to delete old partitions and install new ones.
No time to look up tar switches tho ;)

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Sean Knox wrote:

]:as much as I tempted to simply create a symlink as both Jason and you
]:suggest, I think this will be a good exercise for me. :-)
]:
]:So if I were to follow your first solution: (the partitions are adjacent)
]:
]:1. in /dir:
]:	tar cvfR usr.tar *
]:	tar cvfR var.tar *
]:
]:2. (backed up to another machine)
]:3. /stand/sysinstall to resize partitions. ** see below
]:4. untar var.tar in /var and usr.tar into /usr
]:
]:look good?
]:
]:In sysinstall, am I able to directly resize partitions, or do I need to
]:delete the partition(s) and recreate them with the proper size?
]:
]:* on a side note, how do I exclude directories when creating a tar? I tried
]:"tar cvfRX ./baddir file.tar *" and "tar cvfR -X ./baddir file.tar *" but
]:those didn't work.
]:
]:Sean
]: