Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2001 09:42:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        mikea <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>
Cc:        <chip@chocobo.cx>, <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: adding athlon xp to bsd.cpu.mk

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, mikea wrote:

>On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 01:49:05AM -0500, Chip Marshall wrote:
>
>> Couldn't a test be done on the Features information of the processor
>> to determine the best optimizations? Or would that break
>> cross-compiliation of optimized code?
>
>So I compile something on my AMD box which I expect to run
>only on my P-III or P-IV box. The program is optimized for the
>AMD processor. This is _not_ what I would want. Ditto for the
>converse case.
>
>IMHO, the control needs to be in environment variables and/or
>in parameters passed to the compiler somehow.

It is.  This thread was only discussing how to get the kernel to
recognize these features.  The CPUTYPE and CFLAGS envvars have always
controlled which optimizations the compiler is allowed to use.  That
won't be changing.

--
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today.  There might be a
law against it by that time."	-- /usr/games/fortune, 07/30/2001

Brandon D. Valentine <bandix at looksharp.net>