Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:59:59 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Split a PDF page

On Mar 23, 2007, at 7:08 AM, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
>> Acrobat, maybe?
>> /usr/ports/print/acrobatviewer
>
> Hm, when I try and start it I get:
>
> %AcrobatViewer
> expr: illegal option -- r
> usage: expr [-e] expression

Does doing a:

> Please advise all your users intended to use Acrobat Viewer to create
> "~/AcrobatFonts" directory, which is neccessary for Acrobat Viewer
> to normally
> save its configuration data.

...help?  Or maybe "env EXPR_COMPAT=yes /usr/local/bin/
AcrobatViewer"...?

>> Alternatively, if you convert the PDF file to PostScript, (GNU)
>> enscript ought to have an "N-up" filter which can deal with A3 ->
>> A4 conversions and so forth:
>> /usr/ports/print/enscript-a4
>
> AFAIK enscript starts from text, not from a PostScript page...
> Besides, if the N-up filter you say is options -U, it just put more
> pages into one, which is the opposite of what I want to do.
>
> Maybe I didn't get it right. How should I use it?

This is a reasonable question.  :-)

At one point, Adobe's enscript utility not only dealt with ASCII
text, it could do some manipulations of existing PostScript docs, and
the psnup utility would not only do 1->2 or 1->4 layouts, it could
extract pages back (ie, 2->1 and so forth).  It also handled page
size conversions, such as A3->A4.  However, I recall doing a lot of
this PostScript manipulation on a NeXT which had native Display
PostScript imaging, and it might be the case that Adobe's PostScript
manipulation tools were more capable on that platform then they would
be elsewhere.

Also note that what is in ports is the GNU reimplementation of
Adobe's enscript, and it may or may not be as capable....

--
-Chuck