Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 1998 02:17:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      dan@math.berkeley.edu (Dan Strick)
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        dan@math.berkeley.edu, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Download of FreeBSD 3.0-SNAP

> >FreeBSD no longer does elevator sorts on data pending output,
> >relying instead on the disk hardware to be smarter about this,
> >especially given the likelihood that the drive is lying about
> >its pysical geometry, making it unlikely that any sort you
> >could do would result in an optimization.

Even so, the driver should sort the I/O requests whenever the
system's buffer queue for the drive exceeds the capacity of
the system/host-adapter/drive for concurrently active commands.
Since actual drive "geometry" is usually messy these days,
a simple minded sort by block number would be appropriate.

Dan Strick
dan@math.berkeley.edu