Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 2002 02:29:41 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>
To:        <current@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Michael Reifenberger <root@nihil.plaut.de>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, <julian@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: filesystem corruption ?

Hi all,

It looks more and more to me that pmap does something wrong.
I get pmap related vm crashes or corruption, relating in
filesystem corruption.

I had about 3-4 different panics. Mozilla build tends to prefer
"panic: bad link count", openoffice prefers page faults in ffs code ;)

But these options here are enabled:

options        DISABLE_PSE
options        DISABLE_PG_G

Are there any options I could also add and try ? Page coloring etc ?

You remember, I had SIG4 and SIG11 over and over until
I used these options. The builds run fine by then,
I had no panics at all anymore. I was happy.

After gcc32 was imported. I got panics over and over.
I looked carefuly that no -march was used, so that
this could be the reason.

I use now this option to get a panic even faster ( and to
get a lot smaller dumps of course ) ;)

options         MAXMEM="(128*1024)"

It cannot be hardware. I've preplaced everthing on this box,
including the motherboard.

Michael Reifenberger has the same symptoms. I bet he has
also a PIV.

This is now a PIV machine (2,26 Ghz) with 1GB Ram, and as you see
only 128MB active at the moment.

I have kerneldumps available. If requested, I can compress them
and make available on projects.imp.ch

Martin