Date:      Sun, 3 Jan 1999 01:41:11 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Accessing NTFS partitions

On Sat, Jan 02, 1999 at 03:19:57PM +0100, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:
> On 02-Jan-99 Mark Ovens wrote:
>
> > Although this is not a question, I've CC:'d this to -questions because
> > of it's technical nature and because there are a lot of questions asked
> > here about running FreeBSD and Win* on the same box so people may find
> > it useful.
>
> True... Especially with regard to file-sharing.
>
> > Hidden away on freebsd.org there is a link to a Russian University
> > website (http://iclub.nsu.ru/~semen/ntfs/ntfs.html) which has an NTFS
> > driver for FreeBSD. The latest version (ntfs-releng22-0.9beta.tgz)
> > works for 2.2.x and 3.x.
>
> Heh, hidden away? He has posted to the list a few times =)

I've never heard of it before. Must be the company I keep :-)

> > There are a few points to note about using this driver:
> >
> > You cannot build everything with a single ``make''.
>
> True, but that has its reasons.
>
> > At the moment the driver is read-only :-(, but the author, Ustimenko
> > Semen, is planning to develop it to be read/write :-). Don't forget to
> > mount it read-only (use the ``ro'' option in /etc/fstab).
>
> Yeah, but both he and I never found any documentation regarding
> writing to NTFS drives since MS is reluctant to hand out specs.

Unfortunate, but hugely better than nothing. Besides, we want people to
get their data off NT, not put more on :-)

> > If you think you need NTFS access I hope the above is of use to you. I
> > will try and put together a step-by-step FAQ/HowTo over the next few
> > days.
>
> The driver is however set up in a way that allows easy integration into the
> sourcetree... And from what I used of it, it was rock stable...

So what's stopping it from being pulled in to save all this hassle?
It'd be another incentive for people who are considering moving from NT
to some kind of unix to try FreeBSD.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-