Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 02:37:51 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        abelits@genesyslab.com (Alex Belits)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, dshanes@personalogic.com, brett@lariat.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

> > I was told by Eric Raymond (whom I met briefly at the Mozilla party)
> > that the *BSD people were deliberately excluded because there were too
> > many BSDs and they didn't want to get involved in any political issues
> > over it.  I find these continuous allegations of the BSD world being
> > gratuitously and needlessly "split" (even though each *BSD seeks to
> > fill a different niche) by the Linux community to be rather tiresome
> > considering the amount of division in their own ranks and can only see
> > this as something of a double standard, but I've long since given up
> > on any hope of fair play from this particular crowd.
>
>   While Eric Raymond may know better, I suspect that they were afraid of
> being involved in political issues over *BSD _vs._ Linux. That looks way,
> way more realistic, evan though still insulting.

There are certainly some politics involved.  Larry McVoy and Eric
Raymond are examples of people who distribute their own software
under GPL, and have a vested interest in promoting GPL over other
licensing terms (though if you go look at http://www.opensource.org
for the Open Source Software page, you will see that they state that
the BSD license meets the necessary criteria for labelling).

One real problem is that there are axes, other than the Open Source
Software axe, that are being ground.  Eric attributes much favor to
the GPL in his "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" paper (written about
his "fetchmail" program), and Larry disdains the BSD license for
historical reasons (Larry was chief scientist at Sun when they killed
SunOS off in favor of Solaris, and wouldn't let the SunOS code out).

The division in Linux implementations is very real.  I have been
hand-holding someone through getting LDAP up on a Linux box, and
other than the obvious configuration problems (mostly brought on
by GDBM not working like the Berkeley LDBM), there are a number
of problems that a purely distribution-centric.  Specifically, the
RedHat Linux 5.0 distribution implements sys_errlist[] more like
BSD, and that makes it impossible to make an LDAP server that will
compile both on RedHat 5.0 *and* other Linux implementations at
the same time (some need the manifest platform falg SYSERRLIST_IN_STDIO
and some *must not* have it).

*BSD has a fragmented image problem because there isn't one kernel;
but having one kernel hasn't saved Linux from fragmentation problems,
like the one listed above (which is one of a class, not just a
signle instance that isn't repeated).

Spinning market perception is harder than pointing to conclusive
technical information.

> > This and several other incidents of a similar nature has pretty much
> > convinced me that this crowd would rather prefer it if we really
> > didn't exist at all and is going to essentially conduct their
> > operations as if we didn't.  Oh well.  Perhaps it *IS* time to go on
> > the PR offensive here ("Why Linux doesn't work") since playing nice
> > guys hasn't appeared to have won us anything but lots of nice comments
> > from folks like Marc A. at netscape to the effect that "Linux is the
> > only free OS alternative." I'm getting tired of that, and if it's
> > going to take "breaking ranks" with the rest of the free OS community
> > to get our own message out, maybe it's time.
>
>   Please, before doing that try to make a list of goals that it is
> supposed to accomplish.

I have to admit that I was a bit ticked off by one press release
that stated "Linux is the freely available UNIX implementation",
using "the" instead of "a".  The was SunWorld Online (I believe)
quoting Netscape higher-ups over the Mozilla release.

I don't think that "attack ads" will do much but alienate people,
but on the other hand, I would definitely like to avoid BSD ending
up a second-class invisible.  Netscape making Linux a reference
platform, but not BSD, is rather much to take with grace and no
visible indignation.

What is the status on the CVS/CVSup Mozilla source repository that
was being considered?  That would certainly raise visibility in a
positive way, even if the involvement was only in providing the
technology to Netscape.  You could still press-release it...

If nothing else, BSD *needs* to have a Mozilla repository, if BSD
is *not* a reference platform.

Certainly "FreeBSD Mirrors Mozilla Sources Internationally" would
be a good headline for a press release as well...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.