Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 2000 12:24:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@nickelkid.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Active partition problems with FreeBSD 4.0/NT dual-boot

I have a completely aggravating problem on my hand.

I've got NT 4.0 installed on a the first partition (NTFS) on da0, and
FreeBSD 4.0 installed on the first partition of da1. When I installed
FreeBSD, I instructed it to install a bootloader on da1, but not da0, with
the intention of allowing NTLDR handle the OS selection. After installation,
I FTPed /boot/boot0 to another box (since I don't have any FAT partitions
on my machine) and rebooted. I got the NTLDR screen, booted into NT, FTPed
boot0 back to the NTFS partition, renamed it bootsect.bsd, and added the
following line to C:\boot.ini:

C:\BOOTSECT.BSD="FreeBSD 4.0"

When I rebooted, I selected "FreeBSD 4.0" from the list, and got the
FreeBSD loader with a single option:

F5  Drive 1

I hit F5, and got a second loader menu:

F1  FreeBSD
F5  Drive 0

I hit F1 to boot into FreeBSD, and I thought all was well. However, when I
rebooted to get back into NT, I was presented with the following error
message:

Not found any [active partition] in HDD

I booted from a Win98 startup floppy, used fdisk to set the first
partition on da0 active, and rebooted again. This time, I was presented
with the following loader menu:

F1  ??
F5  Drive 1

I thought this was weird, since I never explicitly installed the FreeBSD
loader onto da0.  Pressing F1 brought me to the NTLDR screen, as I
expected, and I was able to boot into NT again. When I rebooted, I got the
save loader menu again, and this time I hit F5, then F1 to boot into
FreeBSD. Upon a reboot, bam, back to:

Not found any [active partition] in HDD

After doing some reading, I'm guessing the problem is that I've a
brain-dead Award BIOS variant on my GA-686LX4 motherboard that assumes
you're using an M$ OS and checks for active partitions on the lowest
numbered BIOS disk present (da0, in this case) before it hands control
over to any MBR bootloader. If there aren't any active partitions, the
BIOS craps out with the above error.

Now, for the questions:

1) How did the FreeBSD loader find its way onto the MBR of da0? It
   obviously wasn't there before I selected "FreeBSD 4.0" from the
   NTLDR menu the first time, but it seems that it's been there ever
   since. Is this by design?

2) Is there any way to keep whatever is clearing the "active" flag on
   the first partition of da0 from doing so? I tried upgrading the BIOS
   for the motherboard to the latest version, but the active partition
   checking "feature" is still present.

Thanks,
Mick