Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 2019 01:32:40 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        "freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   patch to add a Linux compatible copy_file_range(2) syscall

Hi,

I just put a patch in phabricator that is intended to add a Linux compatibl=
copy_file_range(2) syscall. My main interest in having this is that NFSv4.2=
 will
know how to do file copying locally on the NFS server, saving all the reads=
/writes
across the wire.

It copies the file byte range in the kernel. I don't know how the performan=
ce
compares with a userland file copy done to a local file system on the machi=
ne.
(It would save syscalls, but I have no idea if that will result in a notice=
able
 performance difference?)

It is at https://reviews.freebsd.org/D20584
I've listed a few guys as possible reviewers, but if anyone else would like=
 to review
it, feel free to add yourself.

If anyone is able to test this, it would be appreciated and let me know how=
 it goes, rick.