Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 95 10:54:27 EDT
From:      jeffa@sybase.com (Jeff Anuszczyk)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        jeffa@sybase.com
Subject:   Netscape... V2.0.5-RELEASE... uname() doesn't seem to work...

Hi All,
   I followed the directions that I found in the mail archives with
respect to setting up Netscape.  I'm pretty darn sure I have everything
setup okay.  However, when I start up Netscape the following error
is displayed and Netscape "hangs" doing nothing.

	uname() doesn't seem to work.  Can't figure out what type of system
	this is.

Uhm, this is a stock FreeBSD V2.0.5 with the IDE ATAPI CD-ROM support
added.  Uname seems to work at the shell level.  Perhaps the length of
the 'uname -a' return is a problem?

My config, if this is important, is:

	P100, 40MB RAM
	NCR SCSI, lots of disks (SCSI-1 & SCSI-2)
	#9 GEX64-pro video

I installed FreeBSD from tape (didn't have the CD-rom support yet :-).
Any ideas as to what might be wrong.  I have defined the XNLSxxx and
KeySymDB environment variables to point to the correct place.

Oh yea, I downloaded the:

	netscape-v1.1N-...-unknown-BSD.tar.Z

from ftp.netscape.com.  Any thoughts, suggestions, etc would be very
welcome.

Thanks,
  - Jeff