Date:      Wed, 05 Aug 2020 22:47:10 -0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6722@twc.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADS UP] Planned deprecation of portsnap

from Hans Petter Selasky:

> Maybe some silly questions already answered:

> 1) portsnap is populating /usr/ports . Is this location still hardcoded
> for ports tree installations, or can it be installed anywhere?

> 2) Should portsnap be a wrapper for GIT/SVN whatever is used?

> 3) Should /usr/ports be removed from any mtree files?

> HPS

Ports tree location is not hardcoded to /usr/ports.

Because of multiple FreeBSD installations and wanting to install the ports tree redundantly, I have one /usr/ports and, from the other FreeBSD installations, use BETA1 as a mount point, so I get /BETA1/usr/ports.

There was a bug beginning somewhere around FreeBSD 11.1 or 11.2, whereby running make (such as "make all-depends-list"), would be very messy if ports directory was not /usr/ports.

I was able to create a workaround by setting MAKESYSPATH=/usr/share/mk (environment variable).

Another workaround was to set ports directory to /usr/ports using a null mount.

Tom