Date:      Sun, 3 Feb 2002 21:59:10 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Testinf for open relays

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 08:23:21PM +0100, Olaf Hoyer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> well, I'm working at a big ISP now and I ask myself, which utilities I can
> reliably use to determine if a relay is open or not.
>
> This will also include messages being sent and determined if they will go
> through.
>
> Some public utilities, including rlytest, or spamlart, actually only look
> at the responses in the dialog, but for testing if a relay may be used for
> spam, I need to have a look if this really will relay or drops the message
> after accepting it.

Am I being dense here or is what you are saying not making sense.
The tests that can get thrown at your system is to see whether your MTA
accepts or rejects the mail. If it rejects it then it gets no further.
If it is accepted then it means that persons MTA will relay it, in the
case of the test messages, they will receive a message back instead of
the reject code(s).

So what is it you are trying to prove ? That they send a reject message,
but secretly accept the message and relay it ? Please explain, because I
cannot make any sense of what you are asking.

--
Regards
Cliff