Date:      17 Oct 2001 17:52:22 +0200
From:      Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail or DNS configuration problem

Tyler@projectmayhem.info (Tyler Durden) writes:

> I have been trying to set up by FreeBSD box to act as my mail server for my
> hobby websites. Thus far, I seem to have gotten the smtp part to work (for
> outgoing messages like this one). And qpopper seems to work for checking
> through pop3 (I was able to receive the welcome message from Charlie Root
> through pop3).
>
> However, when I send a message to an address at the server, it doesn't go
> through. Here is the bounce message:

> <Tyler@projectmayhem.info>

> 554 5.0.0 MX list for projectmayhem.info. points back to
> pone.projectmayhem.info
> 554 5.3.5 Local configuration error
>
> I'm not sure what I need to change or configure. Sendmail? Or the mail
> exchange DNS info? Or something else?

You need to tell sendmail that it should accept mail locally for the
domain projectmayhem.info.  I think this is with the cw option, though
it's been a long time since I've used sendmail (I now use postfix).

Simon
--
Simon J Mudd, Madrid SPAIN.   email: sjmudd@pobox.com
Tel: +34-91-408 4878,   Mobile: +34-605-085 219