Date:      Fri, 31 Jul 1998 07:28:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        ehigano@etl.go.jp, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, grog@lemis.com
Subject:   Re: Can anyone tell us please?

Greg Lehey writes:

> > CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF
> > SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR
> > BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF
> > LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING
> > NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
> > SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
>
> My personal preference is also not to SHOUT, but maybe there are legal
> reasons in the USA why you must shout these paragraphs.

 Yes - it's my understanding that for legal reasons you have to "shout"
 these paragraphs.  Apparently, it's to counter the premise that a
 user might not notice them...  i.e.  "Your software cost me a
 bizillion dollars in lost revenue",  "Well, didn't you read the
 disclaimer", "No, I didn't - it looked too much like everything else
 for me to notice."    Apparently, just such an argument is what the
 "shouting" is to guard against...

	- Dave Rivers -