Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2017 10:58:36 -0700
From:      Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of Intel Broadwell GPU Support??

On 03/22/17 10:20, Theron wrote:
>>> Did you use freebsd-base-graphics for buildworld and buildkernel, or
>>> did you use the normal /usr/src for buildworld and
>>> freebsd-base-graphics for the kernel?
>>>

>>> Tom
>>>
>> I followed the instructions here:
>>
>> https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics
>>
>> and used freebsd-base-graphics for both buildword and buildkernel.
>> I'm not too
>> clear on just what that means for any future updates, though. I have
>> been
>> hoping for the past year or more that the patches/changes included in
>> freebsd-base-graphics would get integrated into the base. I really
>> don't know
>> if that's happened or planned to be done. Been kinda frustrating.
>>
>> Bob
>>

> I think the problem with upstreaming is that
> FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics uses elements of the Linux source
> tree organization, namely the drivers/gpu and Documentation/gpu
> directories, which do not fit in the normal FreeBSD source tree.  As
> far as I can tell the FreeBSDDesktop team did this to minimize
> differences between Linux and FreeBSD gpu sources.  Maybe these
> directories should be put elsewhere and just the makefiles modified to
> resolve the differences?  Or have the source consist of the files with
> unmodified Linux paths along side a patch file correcting the
> differences, similarly to ports? Given that most technical issues are
> out of the way and that there is a high user demand for this support,
> it seems to be time for the developers to revisit this issue.

I don't want to speak for mmacy@ or others, but my understanding was to
first implement a linux KPI layer for FreeBSD that is up to date with
the current linux kernel code.  this should allow for easier integration
of the DRM bits from linux onto FreeBSD, and help get other drivers and
that are linux specific working.

I believe currently work is happening right now to get the lkpi code
from drm-next integrated into upstream CURRENT, and some folks are
working on creating a drm port/pkg for intel i915 graphics as well as
for amd GPU's.  This plan should help avoid some of the nastiness you
mention, while also keeping GPL'd that is required to get all the bits
working correctly out of the base system.

at least that is my understanding - i'm sure someone will chime in if
i'm off base/confused though :)

-pete

--
Pete Wright