Date:      Wed, 14 Sep 2016 20:45:21 +0200
From:      olli hauer <ohauer@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Bryan C. Everly" <bryan@bceassociates.com>
Subject:   Re: n00b problem installing postfix package

On 2016-09-14 19:11, Bryan C. Everly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to set up a new 10.3 server that includes postfix and
> majordomo for a BUG I'm trying to get off the ground.  I'm normally an
> OpenBSD guy but I thought I'd give it a try on FreeBSD.
>
> Anyhow, I'm wanting to follow this guide:
>
> http://www.area536.com/projects/complete-freebsd-mail-server/postfix-youve-got-incoming/
>
> And I'm failing right out of the gate because I can't find postfix when I do:
>
> # pkg install postfix
>
> It says there isn't a package with that name.  When I check
> freshports, I see that there indeed is:
>
> https://www.freshports.org/mail/postfix/
>
> Is there something I have to do to get things pointed at the "right"
> package source like I do in OpenBSD (PKG_PATH)?  I was able to install
> apache and some other stuff just fine the way I currently have things
> configured FWIW.
>
> Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question but I really could use the help.
>
> Thanks,
> Bryan

Hi Bryan,

there was an issue with the port on the quarterly branch, and quarterly is also the default for pkg (see pkg -vv)

Looking at pkg.freebsd.org it seems postfix is missing but postfix211 and postfix-current are available.
Even the port is already fixed in quarterly, the build is already finished or running at the moment, so the port will be missing until the next run.

It should be no problem to install now postfix-current, and in a few days after the next build was running swap to postfix (simply run a pkg delete postfix-current and pkg install postfix, I'm doing this often to test new current versions)

--
olli