Date:      Wed, 03 Jan 2001 09:01:15 +1100
From:      David Burren <david@burren.cx>
To:        "Vladimir V. Egorin" <vladimir@math.uic.edu>
Cc:        ian j hart <ianjhart@freeloader.freeserve.co.uk>, "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: fetch problem

"Vladimir V. Egorin" wrote:

>>> I've set
>>> export FTP_PROXY=ftp://proxy_address:1080/
>>> export HTTP_PROXY=http://proxy_address:1080/
>>> I've also tried setting FTP_PASSIVE_MODE.

> ian j hart wrote:

>> setenv HTTP_PROXY proxy_address:1080

> This solves it.  fetch works if FTP_PROXY is not set.  Many thanks to
> everyone for your replies and help.

Unfortunately, over time different programs have looked for different
env vars to control this.  The setup I use that seems to work for
everything is (translated to your example):

	export HTTP_PROXY=proxy_address:1080
	export http_proxy=http://$HTTP_PROXY/
	export ftp_proxy=$http_proxy

If you were specifying $ftp_proxy to point to a joint FTP/HTTP proxy,
you would typically specify that it should use "http" to talk to it.

As you said, fetch works with just HTTP_PROXY.  I think it's lynx which
uses the other variables.  I set them up a long time ago and everything
just works.
__
David Burren