Date:      Sun, 31 May 1998 05:27:19 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: componentnames to VOPs

On Sun, May 31, 1998 at 12:42:38PM +1000, Bruce Evans wrote:
> >Is there any documentation as to whether these should be locked by
> >namei() or not?
>
> vnodes are locked by namei() according to the LOCKPARENT and LOCKLEAF
> flags.  I don't know what you mean by locking a componentname.  If
> the parent isn't locked, then the information in the componentname
> may become stale.  Mostly you don't care.

I'm changing vput() to taking process as a parameter, partially to fix
some problems where curproc is stale.  Michael Hancock said it would
be certain to be correct to use cnp->cn_proc only in the cases where
the vnode is locked by namei() - but how do I know for parameters to
VOP_XXX()?

I can find out that it is correct right now farily easily, but the new
requirement should probably be documented somewhere.  Where do I put
documentation for this requirement?

Eivind.