Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:43:00 -0800
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Igor Partola <ipartola@pisem.net>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 8600

Igor Partola wrote:
> Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
>
>> I also added this, which turns off the LCD when pressing suspend:
>> notify 10 {
>>        match "system"          "ACPI";
>>        match "subsystem"       "Button";
>>        match "notify"          "0x01";
>>        action  "/sbin/sysctl hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active=0";
>> };
>>
>> Turning the LCD back on, when resuming, needs to be done manually. I
>> think /etc/rc.{suspend,resume} is a better place for this.
>>

> This does indeed work (just like the lid switch thing), thank you. One
> problem though is that
> rc.resume is not read in all cases. While acpiconf honors it, just
> hitting the suspend button and
> resuming (hitting the power button) does not turn the lcd back on. Is
> there a way to fix this?

Yes, this is a deficiency in the current usermode interface.  If you
look at my web page, I have a description of how to fix this if someone
wants to do it.  It includes implementing the /dev/apm suspend/standby
compatibility ioctls including a timeout interface.  See the "Implement
X suspend/resume notification" section below.

http://www.root.org/~nate/freebsd/acpi-todo.html

--
Nate