Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 1997 09:30:37 +0000 ()
From:      Carey Nairn <cpn@ccd.tas.gov.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2.1-RELEASE and xdm

On Sun, 30 Mar 1997, Doug White wrote:

> >     Doug> I think that would be best, or try to extract the 2.1.5
> >     Doug> binaries from ftp.xfree86.org or from
> >     Doug> ftp.cdrom.com/pub/XFree86/.  Or pull from a 2.1.6 CD.
> >
> > 	I went over to ftp.xfree86.org and saw a 3.2 release with
> > binaries that were build for FreeBSD 2.2 in November or so. Is that
> > too out of date?
>
> That was before the utmp patches, so if you're on 2.2 they should work
> fine.

I just got those binaries from ftp.xfree86.org and reinstalled X on my
2.2.1 system and rebooted.  No change... I still couldn't run xdm because
ld couldn't find libXmu.so.6.0 even though it was where it should have
been, with world read permissions etc..

On an impulse I decided to copy the library to /usr/lib.  xdm no longer
barfed on libXmu.so.6.0, but on another, so I copied the other libs from
/usr/X11R6/lib to /usr/lib.  Now everything works!!!

I guess my question is why this would work if ldconfig -r reports that
/usr/X11R6/lib is one of the search directories in the first place?

cheers,
Carey Nairn