Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 22:01:29 -0400
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMANDA and chio(1)

On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 07:37:03PM -0400, Chris Shenton wrote:
> On Fri, 5 May 2000 08:15:19 -0400, "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com> said:

[snip]

> Crist> AMANDA 2.4.1, which is also in the ports, seems to come with a
> Crist> SCSI glue program. However, the port claims to be dependent on
> Crist> gnuplot which in turn claims to need X11. I do not have X11 on
> Crist> this system and was not planning on putting it on. Does AMANDA
> Crist> 2.4.1 _really_ need X11? Would the glue programs that come with
> Crist> it work for 2.3.0?
>
> I upgraded to 2.4.x a long while back and their chg-chio works well,
> after one small fix:
>
> *** chg-chio~	Sun Apr 30 12:24:18 2000
> --- chg-chio	Thu May 11 14:33:53 2000
> ***************
> *** 347,353 ****
>   		$currentTape = 1;
>   	}
>
> ! 	print STDERR "$currentTape $max_slot 1\n";
>   	print "$currentTape $max_slot 1\n";
>   	exit 0;
>   }
> --- 347,353 ----
>   		$currentTape = 1;
>   	}
>
> ! 	#BLOWS UP AMANDA: print STDERR "$currentTape $max_slot 1\n";
>   	print "$currentTape $max_slot 1\n";
>   	exit 0;
>   }
>
> The output to STDERR gets slurped by one of the amanda processes
> (amtape?) as text and confuses it.  I reported this to the amanda
> lists aeons ago but this buglet still exists.

Whew... Thanks so much. THAT is what caused the problem. I kept
getting something like,

  # amtape daily show
  amtape: could not get changer info: 2 10

And could not figure it out. Worst part is that when I would run
amtape in gdb... It worked! For whatever reason, that line you found
worked correctly in debug; I could never find the offending code.

Well, looks like I still need some work on mine. My drive needs to be
told to eject the tape. But I think I can handle that one.

I'd also like to get chg-chio to understand I have a cleaning tape in
there.

> Works well once you get all the amanda.conf and
> host:~operator/.amandahosts stuff figured out.  Mail me at
> chris@shenton.org if you want mine as a sample.

Thanks. I'm getting there.